Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Buck and Bluff Riders Charge

I hit up buck on Thursday and worked on my timing abit. Its pretty tricky trying to get the same photo of each biker. They are at such different speeds, heights, and the colors make things interesting to. I was laughing out there when I realized my mistake. I was using a patch of sun and a tree as timing markers, trying to get the shot of the riders inbetween. It started to become difficult when it dawned on me that the sun was going down and my sun patch wasnt even there anymore, there was a completely new one. Doh! I played around with my shutter speed too, trying to find out the average speed for the experts vs the rec classes to get the blurred effect. I can see why John Pederson hung out at the same location for each race. It is virtually impossible to get a good shot of everyone on the first time around with all the varying speeds. I also still havent figured out how he did such a good job of getting those shots on a corner or place with very little movement. I think the effect needs to be done on a down hill or fast straight away for the best turnout. Atleast for my best turnout. Was able to get some really nice shots of the sport riders with some blur. Tried it for the expert class but it just wasnt working out for me. Maybe next time. In the mean time I got sweet shots in various places, the clarity also looks great, its just a different feel in the photo. I think the blur effect is really nice but would get boring quite quick if thats all one got. Maybe its cause Im a chick but i like a picture with some nice scenery. I was also working on an effecct when the bikers top wheel looks large due to its relation to the lens and then the riders has an apperance of riding underneath me. Mainly its the distance I stand from the trail that causes this effect but you need that timing again to get it exact.
Then Sunday was MNSCS #4 the Bluff Riders Charge. The photo directly below this paragraph are probably my favorite from the race. I love how the roots and tree tower over the rider and they were coming over a small climb so they were working nice and hard closing in on the end of the lap. I had intented on doing sport photos here but ended up hiking up to the top of the luge with Andrea, which was well worth it. Thanks Andrea. That is where I got my best set of sport photos, the photo is somewhere below this paragraph. I took a ton of sport photos. Sorry for those that need to fish through to find yourselves. I just got alittle carried away ; )
The other set of photos was taken by using my remote. It was my first time using it out on the trail. It worked wonderfully. I am trying to hide myself alittle more so I dont have a shot of the racer looking directly at me.
Those look great sometimes, but i get them alittle to often, boo! I also lugged my tripod along for the duration of the day.
Silly me, I forgot the attachment for my camera, so that ended up being a worthless extra 8 lbs. I dont have my Adventure 9 pack yet so I had to rig the tripod into place with Twisty Ties. That always makes for an interesting hike.


I am looking forward to the next few weeks hiatus. I am just over half way done with my summer classes. This weekend, being its the fourth, I have less homework then usual so I hope to catch up and get ahead of schedule with it. I am right on top of things now. I will use tonight to get ahead and maybe tomorrow also. Andy and I are headed up to the WORS Firecracker this weekend. I am excited. Its a 3 day event with movies and all you can eat spaghetti buffets and breakfast buffets. YUM! We are camping with The Horners and the Hendricks/Nickles. I finally get to ride my bike on singletrack. Woot! I am also going to try to leave the camera behind so I can just hang with the great company and enjoy hooting and hollaring for all the racers. Thats going to be really hard to do though!!

2 comments:

John Pedersen said...

Hey Dana -

Thanks for the mention on your blog - I just happened by looking to see how the MNSCS was going for you - imagine my surprise when I saw my name in your blog!

Anyway, if you'd like, feel free to drop me a line about the pan/blur stuff. I can try to explain it to you, or better yet, I'd be happy to meet you at your favorite trail and we can do a little shooting. I've been pretty busy lately, and haven't gotten out to shoot any riding yet, so it would be fun just to be out there.

Anyhow, I'd be happy to teach you what little I know, just gimme a holler.

John Pedersen

Janet said...

HEY! You need some pictures of mtb chicks on your blog.