Friday, July 11, 2008

Geology

This site started as my mountain biking log, then went to my photo blog, now I am going to tweak it again temporarily and make it into my Geology Blog.  Rocks are one of my passions. Yes Rocks! I am amazed at how they develop, how the slightest variation of temperature or pressure creates an extremely different outcome.  Ie.. A diamond from coal.   There are so many variations and they are so colorful, bright, heavy, light. They each tell their own stories.  I mean wow, thats pretty amazing stuff.   So I spent the other night after a ride at terrace oaks photographing the rocks in my collection. I will be posting them sporadically along with some information on each of them.   The first one is:

Dog Tooth Calcite-

This rock got its name for its similarities with a dogs canine.  This particular specimen came from Montana.  It is a Carbonate Mineral, the formula is: CaCO3, it is almost pure calcium.  If you look at an object through the crystal you will see two, due to the light separating into two rays.

Native americans considered Calcite a holy stone of the land that was given to their fathers by the gods.

Calcite is said to aid with healing of inflamed or itching skin, bone disorders, and this particular color is supposed to help with boosting metabolism.  It also can assist with mental growth and development.

















1 comment:

pete said...

I like rocks too. :D

http://www.flickr.com/photos/peteryandotcom/2675475929/

I am pretty sure the green ones and the clear one are glass. ;)