Tuesday, July 3, 2007

This is it




This is my first attempt at blogging. I think it will be fun to watch it progress if I am able to stick with it. If you don't know me, I am a bit of a procrastinator so this may be my only entry.



The MNSCS MTB race season started in May. I've participated in two of them so far, Steeplechase and Mont Du Lac.




Racing is a wonderful experience and I would recommend it to everyone. I race in the citizen category which is for beginners. Yes, I am a beginner! I have been riding my bike again for about 4 months. It is amazing the leaps and bounds of progress you can make on a bike. The sad part is, I went on a women's group ride last night and the 3 newbies (their 2nd time on single track) Did everything I did! Its taken me 4 months to get where I'm at, then the Newbies come in and knock my socks off. They all said that they never would have rode the track had we not all been there for them, maybe I should have found a group early on and I would be that much further into my progress. Oh Well, you cant change the past and I am getting more confident everyday.

Each time I hit the trail I am working on a new "problem" area. So far I have worked on my cornering, technical rock garden skills, steps, and log piles. Each time one area starts growing in skill level another area seems to fall off all together so I am usually working on something new every 2 weeks. I feel that it is keeping all my skills at the same level.



I am finding that I am a complete chicken on my bike, I had a few major crashes last season and I am finding it very hard to break through the mental block of fear. I need to work on my down hill skills and on pushing my limits a little more. There is this stance, not sure what it is called but it is where a persons body squares off with the bike, they do it going down hills, Yeah, I don't do that. I think that I need to get out on the street and just practice all those basic skills I'm supposed to have, but I do not. Another thing I am currently working on is getting down into my handlebars and into the trail. I just got to remember that dang center of gravity.



I want to give a shout out to my friend Paul Hansen- He is a Pro Rider for Team Bear Naked/Cannondale. I have been posting my photos of the races on his site and following his career. Its pretty cool, check him out and check out my photos of the races.

No comments: