Monday, July 30, 2007

Great Race



Hey Everyone-



Well, not sure what my last post read, I think it detailed all my crashes and the fact that my knee was not working correctly.




I had posted a group ride for new riders on MORC (Minnesota Off-Road Cyclists Forum) and we had a great turnout. I was unsure if I would be able to ride but I just took up the back and kept it slow and steady. The ride was at the MN River Bottoms, which was the perfect trail for getting the knee back in working order. You can bypass all the technical stuff and it is a nice flat trail. It was a wonderful day!




So Saturday came and it was time to head down to Red Wing for a pre ride of the XC course and to watch some crazy friends race on the Down Hill course. The preride went quite well. I few of my fellow lady riders came along and we had a great time. As far as riding. I was a little nervous due to the knee and it was showing in my speed and technical abilities, but regardless we hit the loop twice and I was feeling pretty good.




The Down HIll race was awesome, I still think Down Hill racers are nuts. A friend Josh lost it and hit a tree, he hurt his back and his (r) wrist but that didnt stop him for taking the 2nd plunge down the narly down hill course. YAY to Josh, Steve, Rich and all the other brave Down Hillers. WAY TO GO!!!!!




afterwards, 4 of us went to Kings and had some great Burgers and a Beer and man were we ready for bed and the big day.


















I have to say that this was the funnest race I have done to date. The course is excellent, some nice twisty singletrack. Quite a few climbs but they are doable (you have to work alittle you know). The "Washing Machine" Which is this crazy ribbon of up/down hill sttep switchbacks. You get mad momentum which carries you through all of them, and at each turn downhill there is a nice sized tree you have to shimmy around. Pretty exciting stuff.




Though it was definately all of the 91 degrees! You know a wonderful course when the screaming heat doesnt stop anyone from racing.






I fared very well, Andy and I both took 2nd overall and 1st in our age groups. Thats a pretty sweet turnout if you ask me!!! Though my 2nd overall was only within the ladies, if you bunched me in with the guys I took 38th out of 60, which is still not to bad!




My friends Nita and Neal did their first race and they both were very happy. Its so awesome to introduce new people to this wonderful sport. If you race once, you will totally be addicted so watch out before you come hit up the trails.

1 comment:

Dr Chris Hill said...

Sounds good, but if we leave it until next year, I think less bicycles will be stolen.
But if you are determined I’ll try and take the train before we leave.